Though still a young technology, computer tablets have become one of the most popular items in the tech world since the introduction of the iPad. As the industry has grown, so have the options, with tablets being offered by Microsoft, Android and Motorola. However, popularity doesn’t always equal practicality. The iPad may one day be seen as an antiquated technology, much in the same way we currently see the Atari 2600. When making the decision to purchase a tablet, make sure to consider first the pros and cons.
- Tablets are extremely portable devices. Being able to remotely interact with your work is becoming a necessity as businesses becomes more integrated with cloud computing. As a rule of thumb, the more accessible you are, the better.
- Tablets are very useful. The potential for productive work uses will only increase as developers release more business-related apps. As time goes on, tablets will likely become more practical in a business setting.
- Tablets communicate ability. Successfully employing a computer tablet as a work tool will let your clients know that you mean business. Taking notes on a tablet during a meeting could increase others’ confidence in your abilities.
- Tablets are a luxury. Whether you own a laptop or a desktop, a tablet isn’t something you absolutely need. Business might advance to a market that requires the use of tablets, but as of now there is generally a less complicated alternative to any function a tablet can complete.
- Tablets can be very distracting. Because tablets are crossover devices between business and consumer, they have the potential to become overpriced toys. Presently, there are far more leisure-related apps than there are work-related apps.
- Tablets are still a young technology and are therefore expensive. If you aren’t yet confident a tablet is right for you, given their price, wait a few months to watch how the industry grows. Eventually, cheaper alternatives will be introduced as more popular hardware, like the iPad, drop in price.
Tablets are effective tools that strike a balance between practicality and luxury. Considering the pros and cons will help you decide the value a tablet can offer. If you’d like to learn any more information, please take a look at this article.