Employee burnout is incredibly common. Everybody encounters those days when they feel like they can’t possibly do the same thing once more. Luckily, there are quite a few easy ways to help combat employee burnout and stop it before it starts.
- Have fun – Making room for fun can relieve some stress and help to keep employees inspired when they are on the brink of burnout.
- Switch it up – Let employees work on new projects or teams when they’ve been concentrating on one thing for a long time, like Facebook is doing with Hackamonth.
- Encourage breaks – It’s excellent to have employees that don’t want to stop working until they get things finished. Sadly, those are the people that are certain to burn out quickest. If you have employees like this, encourage them to take walks or go on a coffee run – anything to keep them from going stir crazy.
Sometimes burnout is simply unavoidable. When it’s already happened, there are several simple ways to make sure it doesn’t overwhelm your employees.
How to deal with burnout
- Accept it – Burnout isn’t always preventable so it’s important to be conscious of the signs such as lethargy, decreased socializing or irritability.
- Communicate – Growing businesses often experience changes that leave employees frustrated. Making sure your employees know that they can talk to you is a great way to stop burnout before it gets out of hand.
Although employee burnout isn’t always avoidable, it’s critical to know what steps you can take to make it less detrimental to your employees and your business. These simple tips can help reduce the effects of burnout and even prevent it when possible.
If you’d like more ideas on fighting employee burnout, take a look at this article.